Training is a valuable method to keep employees engaged, inspired, and informed, and keep your business ahead of the curve. Training gives brands the opportunity to expand the knowledge base of all employees, but many employers find development opportunities expensive. Employees attending training sessions also miss out on work time which may delay the completion of projects. However, despite these potential drawbacks, training and development provide both the individual and organizations as a whole with benefits that make the cost and time a worthwhile investment. The return on investment from training and development of employees is really a no-brainer.
Why is employee training important?
- Improved employee performance – the employee who receives the necessary training is more able to perform in their job. The training will give the employee a greater understanding of their responsibilities within their role, and in turn, build their confidence. This confidence will enhance their overall performance and this can only benefit the company. Employees who are competent and on top of changing industry standards help your company hold a position as a leader and strong competitor within the industry.
- Addressing weaknesses – Most employees will have some weaknesses in their workplace skills. A training program allows you to strengthen those skills that each employee needs to improve. A development program brings all employees to a higher level so they all have similar skills and knowledge. This helps reduce any weak links within the company who rely heavily on others to complete basic work tasks. Providing the necessary training creates an overall knowledgeable staff with employees who can take over for one another as needed, work on teams or work independently without constant help and supervision from others.
- Consistency – A robust training and development program ensures that employees have consistent experience and background knowledge. The consistency is particularly relevant for the company’s basic policies and procedures. All employees need to be aware of the expectations and procedures within the company. Increased efficiencies in processes result in financial gain for the company.
- Increased productivity and adherence to quality standards – Productivity usually increases when a company implements training courses. Increased efficiency in processes will ensure project success which in turn will improve the company turnover and potential market share.
- Increased innovation in new strategies and products – Ongoing training and upskilling of the workforce can encourage creativity. New ideas can be formed as a direct result of training and development.
- Reduced employee turnover – staff are more likely to feel valued if they are invested in and therefore, less likely to change employers. Training and development are seen as an additional company benefit. Recruitment costs, therefore, go down due to staff retention.
- Enhances company reputation and profile – Having a strong and successful training strategy helps to develop your employer brand and make your company a prime consideration for graduates and mid-career changes. Training also makes a company more attractive to potential new recruits who seek to improve their skills and the opportunities associated with those new skills.
Training can be of any kind relevant to the work or responsibilities of the individual and can be delivered by any appropriate method. For example, it could include:
- On-the-job learning
- Mentoring schemes
- In-house training
- Individual study
The importance of training your employees – both new and experienced – really cannot be overemphasized.
Netwalkers NG is an Ikorodu – Lagos-based software and digital marketing agency. We help Nigerian small and medium scale businesses with intelligent ICT solutions to grow their business without putting holes in their pocket.
We have specialized in-house and online training in areas of marketing, healthcare, hospitality. Do reach Us on +2347013178793 or shoot Us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how to grow or automate your business